Basbousa (Nammoura) Sweet Cake. Basbousa (also namoura, revani, hareseh and other names) is a traditional Middle Eastern sweet cake that originated in Egypt, though also popular in other countries. Basbousa, an Egyptian semolina cake with yogurt is one of the best Egyptian desserts that comes out fairly quick. Basbousa/basboosa is a term in the Middle east that refers to a very sweet semolina – sort of- cake.
It's topped with a delicious rosewater and lemon syrup. Stir in the lemon juice and rosewater and remove from the heat. Pour the syrup over the cake while the cake is still hot. You can cook Basbousa (Nammoura) Sweet Cake using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Basbousa (Nammoura) Sweet Cake
- It’s 2 Cups of semolina.
- It’s 1 cup of sugar.
- It’s 1 cup of powdered milk.
- It’s 1 Cup of cream.
- It’s 1/2 cup of vegetable oil.
- It’s 1 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 1 pack of thick cream.
- Prepare of Milk.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of warm milk.
Characteristics Nammoura is your best choice when you are ready for an extra sweet treat. It is probably the sweetest cake you can get. The yeast gives it its spongy texture, and the sugar syrup gives it its distinctive extra sweet taste. It is relatively easy to prepare, and it is thus often homemade.
Basbousa (Nammoura) Sweet Cake step by step
- Mix all the ingredients together until you soften the mix. Note: do not mix the 1/4 cup warm milk in this step..
- I used a cupcake pan but certainly you can use a glass pan or cake pan. First layer: With one big spoon place the dough in the pan. If you are using a glass whole plan, divide the mix by half. Place the first half into your pan..
- I added my thick cream in top of my first layer..
- Now for the last layer, add your 1/4 of warm milk to the remaining mix and continue mixing until it soften. Then pour it in top of your cream layer..
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C (355F) bake for 15 mins, broil for 5-7 mins until golden. (If using a whole pan, probably you will need to broil for additional mins just keep an eye).
- Pour your favorite syrup in top (Sugar, Condensed milk…) and enjoy it.
Basbousa Semolina Cake With Lemon-Rose Syrup. If you are craving something sweet and decadent, you are in luck! I have just the Basbousa Recipe (Semolina Cake) The best basbousa recipe you will find! An Egyptian almond-coconut semolina cake, drenched.