Naadan koonthal roast(Kerala spicy squid fry). Nadan Koonthal Roast or squid roast is a Kerala style preparation of calamari, very spicy, and very traditional. Its dry fry, though you can also make it semi gravy. Kerala Spicy Squid Roast -Nadan Koonthal-Kanava Roast.
Spicy Prawn Roast Is a typical Kerala Style seafood delicacy. Spicy Prawn Roast is a typical Kerala Style seafood delicacy. If you cook and eat it once, your tongue will never forget the spicy aromatic taste. You can cook Naadan koonthal roast(Kerala spicy squid fry) using 15 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Naadan koonthal roast(Kerala spicy squid fry)
- Prepare 1/2 kg of Squid -.
- It’s 2 of Onions – (Medium sized).
- You need 4 of Green chillies -.
- Prepare 5 cloves of Garlic -.
- Prepare of Ginger – a small piece.
- You need 1 of Tomato -.
- You need 1 tbsp of Coriander powder -.
- You need 1/2 tbsp of Kashmiri chilly powder -.
- Prepare 3/4 tsp of Turmeric powder -.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Garam masala -.
- You need 1 tsp of Black pepper powder -.
- You need 1/2 of Grated coconut – cut(Optional).
- Prepare 1 sprig of Curry leaves -.
- You need to taste of Salt-.
- It’s as needed of Oil -.
Nadan Koonthal Roast or squid roast is a Kerala style preparation of calamari, very spicy, and very traditional. Its dry fry, though you can also make it semi gravy. Squid roast is also called Koonthal roast or Kanava roast in Kerala. It is normally dry; however, you can also do this recipe in semi gravy form.
Naadan koonthal roast(Kerala spicy squid fry) step by step
- First clean the squid and slice it into rings and then drain it nicely.
- Next mix the squid with 1/2 tsp pepper powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, curry leaves, crushed ginger and garlic and salt and then pressure cook the squid in a medium flame, without adding any water for just 1 whistle and keep it aside for the pressure to release automatically..
- Meanwhile heat oil in a pan and add sliced onions and chopped green chillies and saute till onions become light brown in color. Then lower the flame and add red chilly powder, coriander powder, 1 tsp pepper powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and fry for about a minute or till the powders turn dark in color..
- Next add chopped tomatoes, along with little salt and fry till tomatoes are nicely done. When the tomatoes are nicely done, add grated coconut, cooked squid along with the water left in pressure cooker and cook uncovered for another 5 minutes or till the gravy thickens..
The spicy Koonthal roast is ideal for those who wish to give their body the nutrients needed. Squid is a rich source of protein and helps largely in weight loss. This is an authentic Kerala squid recipe for squid roast / fry. Earlier when I prepares, squid it wasn't cooked well. So I usually avoid this sea food from my menu.