Nikujaga – potato and meat stew –. Nikujaga translates literally to meat and potato. It can best be described as a Japanese beef stew recipe. It is a hearty winter dish that will be sure to.
Nikujaga is literally meat (niku) and potatoes (jagaimo) in Japanese. It is a stewed dish seasoned with mainly soy sauce and sugar. It is very much mom's Here as well, thin beef is used for Nikujaga too. You can have Nikujaga – potato and meat stew – using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Nikujaga – potato and meat stew –
- Prepare of thinly sliced beef.
- It’s of onion.
- You need of carrot.
- It’s of potatoes.
- Prepare of Shirataki noodles.
- You need of mange touts (anything green to make up the dish colorful and tasty).
- Prepare of ginger.
- You need of sugar.
- It’s of sake (or white wine).
- You need of mirin.
- Prepare of soysauce.
- Prepare of vegetable oil.
- It’s of salt.
So thinner meat is more suitable for the dish. Nikujaga is one of the most popular Japanese comfort food, the delicious dish includes sliced beef slow cooked with potatoes, shirataki noodles, and onion. It's the Japanese version of beef stew; however, it contains a fairly small amount of meat. The meat is added for flavor rather than substance, just like.
Nikujaga – potato and meat stew – instructions
- Peel potatoes and carrots, cut in to bite-sized pieces(a bit larger for potatoes). Peel and cut onion into 8~10 pieces. Cut ginger into thin strips. String peas(mange touts)..
- Blanch shirataki noodle, by putting it in boiled water for 1 min..
- Heat oil in a pot, cook the meat. Add sugar and sake. When the color of the meat has changed, add ginger, shirataki noodles, onion, carrot, and potato, pan fry with meat for approx. 2 min..
- Add just enough amount of water, so that some ingredients are appears above the water. Add mirin, soysauce, salt and let them boil..
- When the pot comes to boil, cover with a drop-lid, simmer for 15 minutes over a middle flame..
- Add mange touts, simmer for another minute, and stop the heat. Leave it for a couple minutes and serve..
I call it stew but Japanese Meat and Potato Stew is nowhere near the Western style stew. The cooking liquid is based on the usual Japanese It is perhaps closer to Irish stew with Japanese style broth. This stew is called 'nikujaga' (肉じゃが) in Japanese, which literally means meat and. Nikujaga, or meat and potatoes is an easy comforting Japanese stew made with beef, potatoes and carrots. My quick Nikujaga recipe comes together The most common type of meat used for Nikujaga is beef, but I've also seen it done with pork.