Seafood Gumbo. Seafood gumbo, packed with shrimp, oysters, red snapper, and, especially Louisiana blue crab, is a classic South Louisiana dish. Ben Thibodeaux, chef de cuisine of Dickie Brennan's Tableau in Le Petit. This delightful Seafood Gumbo is full of shrimp and crab and it has a nice spicy kick.
It is a top notch comfort stew. #SoulFoodSunday – Here's another drop for #SoulFoodSunday playlist. This is a delicious and easy to follow Seafood Gumbo Recipe. You can cook Seafood Gumbo using 27 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Seafood Gumbo
- You need of Roux ingredients.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of bacon drippings.
- You need 1 cup of flour.
- Prepare of Vegetable mix.
- Prepare 1 cup of chopped celery.
- It’s 1 of large green bell pepper.
- Prepare 2 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 1 pound of andouille sausage.
- You need 1 of yellow onion.
- It’s of Gumbo base.
- You need 3 quarts of water.
- It’s 6 cubes of beef bouillon.
- You need 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Prepare to taste of Salt.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of hot pepper sauce (Louisiana hot sauce).
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of Cajon Seasoning.
- It’s 4 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme leaves.
- It’s 14.5 ounce of can stewed tomatoes.
- You need 6 ounce of can tomato sauce.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of gumbo file powder.
- You need of Seafood mix.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of distilled white vinegar.
- It’s 1 pound of lump crabmeat.
- You need 3 pounds of uncooked medium shrimp (peeled and deveined).
- You need 2 tablespoons of Worcester shire sauce.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of gumbo file powder.
This is a real SEAFOOD gumbo. This is the best gumbo I've ever had. This is a great seafood stew "gumbo". This would be great with mussels and some pieces of cod Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste are often used in gumbo and jambalaya.
Seafood Gumbo instructions
- Make roux mix by whisking flour and bacon drippings constantly in sauce pan over medium-low heat until rich mahogany color. Remove from heat until it stops cooking. Usually 8-15 minutes..
- Place celery, onion, green bell pepper, and garlic in food processor on pulse until finely chopped. Mix vegetables and sausage into roux mix and place back over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender. Usually 10-15 minutes..
- Bring water and beef bouillon to boil in large pot (8 quarts or larger). Whisk the roux mix into boiling water once the cubes disolve. Reduce to simmer then mix in the rest of the base: sugar, salt, hot sauce, Cajon seasoning, bay leaves, thyme, stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Simmer for 1 hour and add the file gumbo powder at the 45 minute mark..
- Mix in shrimp, crab meat, Worsteshire and white vinegar into gumbo and simmer for another 45 minutes. Mix in file gumbo powder before serving..
This seafood gumbo recipe was originally titled Super Bowl Seafood Gumbo, as the author makes this Cajun specialty each year for the occasion, just as his mother did before him. Seafood Gumbo is a Crock Pot recipe introduced in the Shipwrecked DLC. Adding Ice will yield Ceviche instead, unless a Wobster is also added. Plus, this Seafood Gumbo recipe is ready in under an hour!! I fell in love with seafood gumbo many, many years ago.